五月末的周日，阳光明媚，春风和沐，这一天橡树村华人联盟的组织者们为这里的或探亲或移民的老人们举行了一个特殊的生日庆祝会。 “橡树村”——这是部分来自中国的一些老人们对Oakville的称谓，乡土味的名字却透着浓浓的乡情，是的，这里已经是他们的第二故乡了。 我是一个来自北京的离退休科学工作者，以前在国内，儿女远离，但是每天忙碌于追求事业，仍然感到很充实，很快乐。可是伴随着退休生活的闲逸，生活的节奏和模式也改变了，每年的生日，和老伴儿一起到喜欢的饭店美餐一顿，席间以茶代酒，互相祝贺的同时，也感到了“空巢老人”的寂寞和孤独。今天，橡树村华人联盟的组织者们在社区中心为我们这些老人们举行了三个月一次的集体生日庆祝会，他们精心准备了大大的生日蛋糕，随着祝你生日快乐的歌声响起，集体过生日的我和其他老人们得到了儿女和几十位在场老年朋友最真心的祝福。这是这么多年以来我过的最热闹，最温暖，有最多爱的一个生日。在此，感谢华人联盟的组织者们的精心策划和安排，使我有了一个温馨，特殊的生日庆祝会，感谢他们组织的每周一次的老年人娱乐活动，让我们老人们有机会结识新朋友，让移民生活更加丰富多彩。 撰稿人：张淑杰
Job Title: Seniors Project Coordinator
|Organization:||Oakville Chinese Network Society|
|Location:||Oakville, Halton Region, Ontario|
|Deadline:||5:00 PM, Friday, March 07, 2014|
Oakville Chinese Network (OCN) requires a Project Coordinator. The Oakville Chinese Network Society was incorporated and registered with the Ontario government in September, 2012. On January 19, 2013 we were able to proudly announce the official inauguration of the organization. The Board of Directors of Oakville Chinese Network Society is wholly composed of a group of enthusiastic volunteers. It has no religious or political affiliations, and is a non-profit organization. The Oakville Chinese Network Society is built upon the principles of harmony, collaboration, and teamwork. Our goals are to serve the Chinese community, to bolster the enthusiasm of the local Chinese people to become actively involved in social affairs and events, and therefore be able to make significant contributions to Canada’s diverse culture. Finally, we strive to promote the traditional Chinese culture and its virtues. The Seniors Project Coordinator position’s mandate is to fill the language gap between the Chinese senior group and other community organizations to ensure the project run smoothly. The Seniors Project Coordinator works closely with the Board of Directors at OCN. Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Implement the project plan efficiently and reach the project outcome
- Develop and facilitate the weekly seniors social gathering during weekend
- Create appropriate project forms/charts that can be utilized by leadership volunteers for project running
- Monitor and provide ongoing supervision, training and education of project volunteers
- Organize monthly related topics in order that seniors will increase the knowledge of Canadian systems and new life in Canada
- Assist with the entry of required members documentation in OCN’s member management system as well as other required statistical data
- Generate monthly report and meet the dead line
- Liaise with community organizations to promote their awareness of OCN’s programs
- Outreach to the isolated seniors in the community and attract them to the program
- Strong social service background, preferably with Social Service Worker Diploma or combination of relevant education and experience
- Experience working with and an understanding of the needs of seniors
- Familiar with the Mission of Oakville Chinese Network
- Passion for working with and promoting the independence of seniors
- Previous experience in volunteer engagement and retention
- Skills in volunteer coordination, community outreach, workshop planning, facilitation, proposal writing, project coordination
- Proven and effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to work independently, within a team setting and provide strong leadership
- Proficient in use of computers, including MS Office and database programs.
- Willingness to travel throughout the region
- In addition to English, fluency in Mandarin/Cantonese both oral and written a must
- Ability to work flexible hours and weekends
This is a one-year contract part-time position.
To apply for this opportunity
Submit your cover letter and resume quoting the job title in the subject line by 5 p.m. on March 7, 2014 to: email@example.com We thank all applicants for their interest in OCN, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sunday, Feb 23th, 2014 Time: 1:30pm-3:30pm
3620A Laird Rd. Unit 8, Mississauga, On, L5L 6A8
( Major intersection: Laird Rd. and The College Way)
Oakville Chinese Welcome the Year of Horse
Oakville Chinese Community gathered together to celebrate Chinese New Year at 7:30pm on Saturday,
January 11th, 2014 at Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts. The celebration Show — hosted by Oakville Chinese Network expresses the love of Oakville from the Oakville
Chinese residences by performing Chinese traditional dances, Beijing Opera, Guzheng
(Chinese traditional instrument) and Tai Chi. Mayor Rob Burton and MPP Kevin Flynn
attended the Show and extended their greetings to the Oakville Chinese Community.
Oakville Chinese New Year Show — to be held in downtown
On January 11th, 2014 at Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
A performance gathering celebrating the Chinese New Year will be held in Oakville Centre of Performance Arts, west
of downtown, on January 11th, 2014.
According to the lunar calendar, the Chinese New Year for 2014 will be on January 31. Gathering together with family
and having a big dinner is the typical tradition for Chinese to celebrate the New Year. The Oakville Chinese Network,
founded in September 2012, organizer of the performance night, is working hard on it with the best wishes to provide
an opportunity for Oakville Chinese to celebrate together.
In the Chinese Zodiac tradition, 2014 will be the year of horse. The performance will be a musical entitled I wish to say
goodbye to the past and express the happiness to hug the better future. The musical will be led starred by Sixteen Miles
Creek Musical Mission, a subsidiary to the Oakville Chinese Network. Meanwhile, many Oakville Chinese institutions
and residents are taking part in this performance.
A Chinese Community Service Guide will debut at the night. Up to 500 audiences will be given a complimentary copy,
the other 1500 copies will be handed out in the Welcome Centre, language schools, churches and community libraries.
1. Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Address: 130 Navy Street, Oakville
2. Oakville Golden Coast Tea Club
Address: 278 Kerr St, Oakville, ON. Canada L6K 3B3
3. The Mississauga No. 1 Culture and Arts Centre
Address: 3450 Ridgeway Dr., Mississauga, ON L5L 0A2